The fonts at Apex Cuttable Designs work differently to traditional system fonts. When using System fonts (e.g. TTF’s) with Design Space you select Add Text and type your word.
The fonts at Apex are delivered to you in several formats, one of those being SVG. To use those fonts you upload the letters using the Upload Image option. So let’s take a look at that process.
- First you need to purchase your font.
Go to http://apexembdesigns.com/cuttables/cuttables and hover over the yellow banner to open the catalog.
- At the bottom of that screen you’ll see a list of font categories. Click SHOW ALL FONTS (or if you know the type of font you’re looking for you can select one of the categories.)
- There are nearly 250 fonts to choose from. Use the navigation options at the bottom of the screen to move through the pages.
- Once you’ve selected your font click on the image.
I’ll be using the Chevron Block Cuttable Font for this tutorial.
- Click Add to Cart
- Click on “your cart” to complete the checkout process.
Your font will be delivered to you as a zip file that contains the following five file types:
- Before using your font in Design Space you will need to unzip it.
Mac: Save the zip file to your Mac. Double-click the zip file and the file or folder will be decompressed into the same folder the compressed file is in.
Windows: Save the zip file to your computer. I created a directory called Apex Cuttable Designs and saved the zip file there. No matter where you save it, just remember to make a note of its location.
- Click on the zip file then at the next screen click Extract All.
- You will see this screen:
- Click Extract and be sure to keep the “Show extracted files when complete” box checked.
Once extracted you’ll be taken back to the folder that contains the extracted files.
- Click on that to open it and you’ll see the following:
The files that you’ll be using in Design Space are the SVG’s.
Now you’re ready to use the font in Design Space.
- Open Design Space and sign in by clicking on the Account menu.
- Click Sign in, type in your Cricut email address and password and click the Sign In button.
- Click the Create New Project button.
- Click the Upload Images button button in the toolbar then click the blue Upload Image button
- Click the Browse button
- Navigate to the SVG directory that was created when you unzipped the files.
- Click on the letter that you want to import into Design Space and if necessary click the Open button.
- The letter will appear in the preview box. If you wish you can add Tags to your upload to make it easier to search for it again later.
- Click the Save button to continue
- The letter will appear in the Uploaded Images Library. Click on it to select it then click the Insert Images button.
The image will be placed on your Design Space canvas.
- Click on it to select it then you can change the size by either dragging the bottom right selection arrow or by changing the details in the Edit panel. Remember to keep the proportions lock closed unless you only want to change the width OR height.
Your image is now ready to cut.
- If you wish you can change the colour of your image by clicking on the letter in the Layers panel, then selecting from one of the Basic Colors or by clicking inside the Custom Color box.
Changing the colour here is just a cosmetic change of course as the final colour is dictated by the cardstock/vinyl etc that you place on your cutting mat.